Help & settingsWelcome to the help & settings section, here you can change the default units, sign in for free and learn more about weather forecasting. Bigsalty Site Help Bigsalty Rating System Our forecast & current weather data Forecast charts Current weather Beach data Interpreting wave data
Email Alert Quick Guide
Our unique Email Alert System is extremely powerful but we have tried to make it as easy to use as possible. Once you have set up your alerts, you will be able to keep track on the conditions that suit your needs so this page is designed to be a very quick guide to help you get to grips with the system.
Set up Examples
RATING SYSTEM FOR GOOD WIND
The easiest option for this is to set up a 'Wind Alert' and to set your minimum wind rating for your location. Let Big Salty do the rest. Setting a location to a minimum of 2 Star will indicate when it is sailable and windy, whereas a 3 Star will indicate the most hardcore conditions.
You are interested in a swell of a particular period and height from a specific set of directions, regardless of what the wind is doing. Set up a 'Custom Alert' for your location and only configure the swell options.
You are interested in a swell of a particular period and height from a specific directions and wind of a specific direction for your location to fire. Set up a 'Custom Alert' for your location and configure both the wind and swell options.
You are interested in a swell of a particular period and height from a specific directions and wind strength and direction to work for down the line conditions at your beach. Set up a 'Custom Alert' for your location and configure both the wind and swell options.
CUSTOM WIND FOR ME PLEASE
You are interested in a wind from a few specific directions of a particular strength and want to customise. Set up a 'Custom Alert' for your location and configure the wind to be the strength you want for only a few directions.
LIGHT WINDS FOR CRUISING
You are interested in a good wind to learn and improve in and you know your spot. Set up a 'Custom Alert' for your location and configure the wind for each relevant direction to be a certain light strength.
3 Steps Set up Guide
- Before using the Big Salty Email Alert System, you must sign up and set up a location Watchlist. The Watchlist will contain the locations you may wish to track.
- Decide for each alert location below whether you want to use a 'Wind Alert' or 'Custom Alert'. Click the control icon in the respective column to open the control panel.
- If you choose the 'Wind Alert' trigger system:
- Set your minimum Wind Star Rating and click 'save'. The green control panel icon in the 'Wind Alert' column indicates set up has been successful.
- Set either wind or swell configurations or both. Set a wind configuration for each direction you are interested in tracking and click 'Add'. Likewise, set your chosen wave configurations for each swell direction you wish to track and click 'Add'. Keep adding as many direction configurations you need.
If this isn't quite what you are looking for, try our FAQs page here.