You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-12 07:54:47

justin

The creation of greener jobs

We all need to earn money to survive. In a world where there are mounting energy supply concerns and global warming is on the increase, creation of greener jobs should surely be the next government's motivation to not only help us but also the environment.

Imagine the feel good factor if you went to work, did something substantial to help our environmental concerns and then walked home at the end of the end with a pay packet. I think I'd be keen but a bit of brute force from the government in the form of policies and exposure wouldn't go amiss.

Realistically these jobs come from the private sector from investment in new companies in new technologies but if the government could draw up policy to put incentive in place for those companies in these areas then it would really help the momentum.

Clearly, most employment in these areas suit a skilled and highly trained workforce so I suspect the next issue is making sure that the workforce that hits the deck in 10 to 20 years time know their times tables, so to speak.

Justin

#2 2010-03-15 18:35:35

growler

Re: The creation of greener jobs

Justin,
i fully  support your concept, and agree that although we all revel in our democratic freedom, freedom of speech and action, i feel that we do need a more dictatorial government in several ways - particularly when it comes to the environment. we need to be told that we can't do certain things or have to do others, however informed the great unwashed are, if it  costs us a little more / requires a little effort  / or means we can't do exactly what we want when we want to we ignore the negatives that we create. i put my hands up, we are all guilty of this
one thought that the recent economic calamity has made clear to me is that this country and its wealth is based on nothing more than hollow promises
what percentage of the population actually produces anything anymore? the majority of us sit in offices moving paper about somehow creating wealth out of nothing
we need to get back to doing what made this country once great, actually doing things, if anyone could bear to put the moisturiser down and get their hands dirty again
thanks for the outlet ;-)

#3 2010-03-16 20:51:43

rock

Well, to follow on from Growler, it would be nice to see some companies producing actually real things in the UK, if the economy is mostly based on financial industry then surely it's more vulnerable when such a economic bubble hits. Quite topical that Cadbury's was actually quite an impressive UK manufacturer. Used to be - I think the government might have scored a bit of an own goal letting that one go....

I know that is not fully covering the environmental angle, but the business needs to be there in the first place and as you say if it takes a little bit more effort to get businesses that are greener established then that's probably time well spent. If the UK could become the hub of environmental business then maybe it could maybe lead the field in Europe. Then, everyone's a winner!

#4 2010-03-18 17:53:42

jimmy
Administrator

Speaking of highly trained employees capable of innovation and working at the cutting edge of green technology - universities appear to be earmarked for getting their funding cut set out in the budget (yes I watch BBC news 24). What's going to happen there? A shortage of highly skilled workforce for the future perhaps, but on the plus side - less liver damage for would-be students...

Get me some more waves...

#5 2010-03-18 20:22:31

growler

this may be a controversial angle but i feel the emphasis on 'university education' as being the pinnacle of training for the future workplace is a little over emphasised. i'm sure it has a place for leading entrants into the 'top' jobs but generally, i personally feel that apprenticeships would be a more practical and relevant method of training the future thinkers and doers, in many cases. this is an area which is understated and considered as a second rate avenue to education. the university of life has a large role to play in the future.
speaking as a graduate who obviously knows many other graduates. getting through a degree is one thing, being able to apply knowledge is very often another.

#6 2010-03-22 09:10:13

jimmy
Administrator

That is a fair point. Not everyone who has a degree will go on to work in that field, and at least an apprenticeship should encourage the application of the knowledge. If the apprenticeships are available in the same fields as those that take university graduates, then I suppose it's much of a muchness.

Get me some more waves...

Board footer